Thursday, February 28, 2008

Hair mania...

How is it that our self-esteem is totally wrapped up in our hair? You know, after you leave the salon with the perfect new cut and color you suddenly feel great...until that evening when you freak out about restyling it and wondering if it even looks close to the way it did at the salon. We go with clippings from magazines...I want a little of this and a little of that but not too much of this... Our poor stylists. What we do to them!

I am guilty of having a hair file, full of shades of red and auburn and blonde. I used to be a blonde, but will likely never go back. I feel more myself as a redhead. Think about that. I absolutely identify with my hair. Is that crazy?? Apparently not, since after a few days of conversation on the topic, I am really not alone.

I was able to do an interesting social experiment when I made the shocking switch in hair color. I found that going from long & blonde, to shoulder length auburn I was both taken more seriously at work (and produced far greater sales results) and was looked at more often by men. The kind of men you would want looking at you.

This is all surfacing because I inadvertently got a haircut far shorter than I ever intended. I let my stylist have at it with the scissors and didn't realize what he was doing until off went 6 inches of hair! I have received several comments that I look like a "working woman" though I feel like I belong on the six o'clock news. That or driving a minivan with kids screaming in the back seat. I don't think this cut will last for long, but I did find it interesting how much a few less inches of hair can totally mess with my psyche!

The new do...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you frickin' kidding me? I love, LOVE that length on you. You do not look like a mom who should be driving a mini-van.

BTW ... I have some bangs now. That's what my hairdresser does to us post-partum ladies who look like we are going bald. She also put me on NIOXIN, a brand of hair care to help slow down the hair loss until my hormones are more regulated.

Anne said...

It's so cute! It fits your face well. If you were a mini-van driving mom, you'd be a hottie ;)

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the haircut, and I definitely do not think that it makes you look like a woman who should be driving a mini-van. And on the hair note, I just got a hair cut last week that I am absolutely loving! Think Victoria Beckham but a tad bit shorter!

Anonymous said...

I think it's great - goes perfect with the hair color! Matt keeps begging me to chop my hair off and cut it short like I used to have it... I just can't bring myself to do it yet! :)

shawna [of styleberryBLOG] said...

Thanks for your kind comments! It is growing on me...but not being able to put it up when I go to the gym is driving me nuts!